Friday, June 19, 2009

"Let's Keep it Clean"

OK, Fine.
Sorry Tina.
I neglect this blog, I realize that.
From now on, I'm giving you a 3 post a week guarantee.

One thing I've been really thinking about lately is that time I beat Mike Tyson in "Mike Tyson's Punch Out", and how no one believes me.

It really happened, people!

I was using the game genie at the time and I got the code for the Mike Tyson level off the Internet (I had to - I usually can't make it past king hippo, that fat bastard.) , so I guess you could call it semi-cheating - but I did take down the monster. And really, isn't that the only thing that matters?

I remember the day like it was yesterday.
I was 22 years old. Hot off the heels of a break-up with my first boyfriend, I had been living at my parent's house. The first order of business was for me to hook up my old Nintendo to the TV in my bedroom. At the time, Nintendo was therapeutic for me. Nothing mends a broken heart like 8-bit graphics and worn down thumb pads.

This had not been my first attempt to take the great one down.
Many times, I had punched in that code (007 373 5963), only to get my ass handed to me on a platter.

However, for some reason, this time was different. I felt it.

I don't remember how the next 3 minutes went. It was all a blur.
I do remember being shocked that I managed to go 3 minutes without being knocked out.

Then, it happened.

The referee had ruled in my favor!
Mike Tyson had the "I'm so pissed off I lost" look on his face.
I frantically looked around to see if anyone had witnessed my victory, but sadly, no one was there to see.


Whenever I tell anyone about this, they don't believe me.
And it consumes me.

3 comments:

Tee said...

I believe you because if you lie about something like that then you are really really sad. You're not sad are you?

Steve said...

I have that code burned in my memory. When I had a Nintendo, there was no internet. I was in the city at the mall with my parents and saw a code magazine. In it was the code. I had no pen, and they frowned down upon stealing codes at the book store, so I just kept saying the code to myself for the hour ride home. Now, I sometimes catch myself thinking,

"007 373 5963 007 373 5963 007 373 5963 007 373 5963..."

Steve said...

I just went and tried to beat Tyson and failed miserably.