Tuesday, March 10, 2009

They tore down heaven to build townhouses.

Why is it that they take everything that's good and perfect in the world and tear it down to build townhouses?

Take the Hillcrest Drive-in, for example.
I grew up minutes away from the place, but had only been once.
If I tuned my radio into the station, I could pick up the signals and listen to the movies, that's how close I lived to it.


Yet, I never fully appreciated it.



The one time I went, I was 12. Our next door neighbour, Mrs. Bell, took me and her two daughters Jillian and Natalie, to go see "Land of the Rising Sun" and "Robin Hood : Men in Tights". I remember being embarrassed, because we were in our pajamas, and we went to the concession stand and people were staring at us. The other two didn't seem to care, they were getting candy.
Then Natalie took her shoes off, and for some reason, she had the worst smelling feet for a 9 year old and stunk up the car.

As a 12 year old, I was too young to fully appreciate the history of the place.
I'm sad that my only memories of the place involved Natalie stinking up the car with her feet and me being embarrassed that I was in my pajamas.



A couple of years ago, they decided to tear the place down to build townhouses.
They re-opened in Aldergrove, but its not the same.

Oh well, I'll always have this:


Crazy Hot dog.

1 comment:

Monsieur Muckety Muck Muck said...

I went a few times and it was over rated. The sound sucked, the view sucked, I'm not actually sure why so many people loved the drive in. I guess nostalgia, oh and the hot dog jumping into the bun while everyone honked their horns.